Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Monaco GP: Thursday
Posted by: WilliamsF1Fan
Date: 24/05/2019 12:42
Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good morning,
Most of the discussions about Williams' recent problems focus on is Claire doing a good/bad job as well as did Paddy Lowe.

I've never fully understood why these two are singled out and Mike O'Driscoll (CEO), Doug Lafferty (CFO) and Brad Hollinger (big shareholder) always get omitted.

Possibly even Nick Rose (chairman) Mark Biddle (Secretary/Legal Counsel) but these may be more figurehead/statutory roles.

I get that these are names that are less well known and it is possible to say that the Williams Group was run by Claire and Paddy and the rest just provide support and fulfil legal roles.

It is also possible to say that MO'D, DL and BH run the group and effectively assigned resources and tasks to CW and PL.

Having seen lots of interviews with CW and read a lot of driver interviews it does seem plausible that the bias is more towards the second scenario.

If this is the case then maybe nothing will ever improve until that is changed, in this scenario bringing on board Bob Fernley as suggested would not work as his powers and responsibilities would be limited.

If we consider Stewart, Jaguar and Red Bull we see a start up that made a lot of progress and even won a race, become managed by a large company and fail and then go on to success as Red Bull.

Which is why I believe that Patrick Head is the only person who has the understanding of how an F1 team needs to operate and the credibility to recommend changes to Sir Frank.

Patrick may possibly need a little bit of advice in the areas that he may be slightly out of date on and this could be an issue if he doesn't believe that.

As some may have come to know from other posts I believe that the F1 team is of equal or lesser importance to the group than growing WAE.

Assuming that I am right in this and if PH's recommendations were to restructure the group putting the F1 team first and under the control of CW and PLs replacement with the group CEO/CFO mainly there to service this goal then they may be a lot of toys thrown out the pram. :-)

Bye

Ian

Well put Ian. Williams F1 team smacks of being run by committee, something it avoided to great effect in the 80's and 90's when those that did, spectacularly failed. Being a PLC may be the problem because they can't just spend money of course, like some of the other teams may have done in the hope that a big sponsor or owner will come along later and bale them out.

Mercedes probably learnt that if you manage by committee then there needs to be someone in overall charge (Wolff), and you need racers not accountants (sorry accountants!). RIP Niki Lauda.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net