Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Team Sold
Posted by: ihme (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 13:27

Quote:
Nuvolari
Quote:
Matt Brown
So what are Williams fans going to do ? Still follow this team?
I have noticed over the years on this message board a lot of Williams fans follow this team because of Sir Frank Williams and his family but now they are gone will these Williams fans still follow this team?

Claire Williams still in control

What a @#$%& joke...

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: GPL (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 14:10

I am still in.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 14:47

It's painful to see they didn't even hold a minor share in it...But whatever happens, as long as Williams name is there, I'm their fan...though it's getting harder to find a reason for it other than getting used to being a Williams fan.



http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: rpaloschi (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 15:42

Quote:
Matt Brown
So what are Williams fans going to do ? Still follow this team?
I have noticed over the years on this message board a lot of Williams fans follow this team because of Sir Frank Williams and his family but now they are gone will these Williams fans still follow this team?

My feelings for it will tell me... as of now, I look around and all I see are Corporates and their bullshit far away from what made me in love with this sport.

All the teams except one went down that route, now that one is also gone. So, it is all the same, nothing to root for.

Ill probably steer away from F1 as a whole. (I cant believe old man me is saying this, but... gotta be honest yo what I feel and believe).

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 18:31

Quote:
ihme
"The deal saw Dorilton Capital buy all shares from Williams, including those from majority shareholder and team founder Sir Frank Williams, American businessman Brad Hollinger and Mercedes F1 team boss Toto Wolff, who retained a 5% shareholding."
[www.autosport.com]

Also from that article:
Quote:
Williams did confirm that Dorilton Capital is a fund spending a family's money on investments, but said she had "no comment to make" on the identity of the backer.

Perhaps this family fund is related to the James Matthews Peter Windsor said was involved in the takeover.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: boro1986willliamsf1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2020 06:28

I will still support William's as long as the team is still Williams who ever owns it



100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 10:23

I wonder where this leaves LAT. He's clearly no match for RUS. Will we at least put in a big name driver next year or is he contracted? As long as it's not VET. Maybe someone from FE? Or I'd be happy with Tictum from F2.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 10:31

If the new owners are here to make a profit, which they say they are, they won't get rid of Latifi. Not only he brings money to the team but he has a contract for 2021 for which they would need to pay to terminate. And all that only to bring another below-par driver to drive what will most likely still be a backmarker car in 2021?

Also FE is already an F1 rejects series- why would you go there to find a driver if you don't have to?

TBH I feel like there was more talent around in the feeder series 10 or so years ago. I think racing has become even less affordable since then and I'm also not a big fan of the current superlicence system- I think it's right in principle but poorly executed and it makes the wrong type of drivers stick around trying to amass enough points.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: GPL (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 10:36

We need a big aero signing.
We need to tempt Newey
Then see what the kid can do.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Matt Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 11:26

Quote:
Anderis
Also FE is already an F1 rejects series- why would you go there to find a driver if you don't have to

I 100% agree with this all FE drivers are F1 rejects this is so true.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 13:54

Interesting article on the new owners over at RaceFans.

[www.racefans.net]

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Stu69 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 18:33

Quote:
GPL
We need a big aero signing.
We need to tempt Newey
Then see what the kid can do.

Offer Newey 15% ownership at massive discount?

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 19:24

It's funny how some people still believe that we can bring Newey back. (Sm6)

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Stu69 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 21:26

Quote:
Anderis
It's funny how some people still believe that we can bring Newey back. (Sm6)

One thing I have learned in F1 is never say never.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2020 22:57

The problem with Newey is that he is nearing retirement and there's literally nothing Williams can offer him that Red Bull can't. Just because he wanted some shares 25 years ago doesn't mean it's going to do anything today. A lot of things have changed since then including a very important detail of Williams going from the best to the worst F1 team. He's not going to prove that he can do it with a backmarker team at this point of his life and career.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2020 00:09

Quote:
Anderis
The problem with Newey is that he is nearing retirement and there's literally nothing Williams can offer him that Red Bull can't. Just because he wanted some shares 25 years ago doesn't mean it's going to do anything today. A lot of things have changed since then including a very important detail of Williams going from the best to the worst F1 team. He's not going to prove that he can do it with a backmarker team at this point of his life and career.

I'd be more interested in the new owners going after Christian Horner, who is only 46, to run the team.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2020 14:41

Quote:
Anderis
The problem with Newey is that he is nearing retirement

So was Lauda at Merc . . . well past his sell-by . . . a mix of youth and experience is no bad thing . . . I don't think it's a one man function any more . . . it is actually the reason Merc ousted Brawn, who wanted final say in everything . . .

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2020 15:00

Why Newey though? Merc engine aside, where are all the RBR titles for the last 6 years? Although he may be more valuable in a low cost environment.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2020 19:06

Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
Anderis
The problem with Newey is that he is nearing retirement

So was Lauda at Merc . . . well past his sell-by . . . a mix of youth and experience is no bad thing . . . I don't think it's a one man function any more . . . it is actually the reason Merc ousted Brawn, who wanted final say in everything . . .
I'm not saying that nearing retirement is limiting what Newey is capable of but I'm saying that nearing retirement is limiting what Newey will be willing to do. Newey is much more special than Williams ATM, why would he choose to go to Williams of all things. I'm 99% sure that Red Bull will be his last F1 team and that 1% is reserved for a special opportunity like Ferrari or some exciting new project offering something no other can, not for trying to take a backmarker out of its misery.

Re: Team Sold
Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2020 20:12

Maybe he has made his money and would just like a lie in of a weekend.

Current Page: 5 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net