How in the hell
Posted by: Matt Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 08:14

did Alexander Albon land the plum drive at Red Bull Racing? He is completely hopeless.

I mean what is going on? Albon is miles behind his team mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 11:12 by Matt Brown.

Re: How in the hell
Posted by: ihme (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 09:11

His team radio is the worst. He sounds like he's dying or something all the time.

Posted by: SehnKhan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 10:38

Stop whining.

Date: 02 August, 2020 11:10

I actually think he will lose his seat at Red Bull Racing.

Date: 02 August, 2020 11:50

Of course he will. He couldn't enter q3 with a Red Bull on softs... It's embarrassing.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 12:00

Red Bull just failed a bit with their driver development program. They insist in hiring only drivers from within it but it seems at the moment they don't have anyone good enough to be a good number 2 driver next to Verstappen.
With "failed" I only mean the current situation. Over the years, they've brought far more good drivers to F1 than anyone else.

I'm wondering if Gasly doesn't deserve a 2nd chance. He's been dominating Kvyat since the relegation back to Toro Rosso and he sometimes beat Albon in the inferior car (like last 2 quali). The problem with that would be that Red Bull would look like absolute muppets if Gasly failed again if they did that.

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 12:11

I think he's been a touch unlucky - Ham taking him out of two likely podiums. I think his confidence would be much higher if he had achieved one or both. Pretty hard for anyone to match up to Max too.

His FP2 crash recorded 20G apparently and he didn't get much FP3 running, so he would have been pretty battered, bruised and lacking confidence in an unpredictable RB16 in flukey wind conditions for quali.

Agree he needs to improve to keep his seat, but I think he's better than the scoreboard is showing.

Vettel on the other hand...

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Date: 02 August, 2020 12:25

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
Vettel on the other hand...

So Albon can be defended with his crash and lost confidence and Vettel losing the whole fp1 and later having issues with his car in each session can't? Vettel is also out of Ferrari next year so theres also that. Also it's 2:2 in quali between VET and LEC.

Date: 02 August, 2020 13:30

Well Seb is a 4xWDC being shown up badly by his younger teammate.

Albon has had disappointing results to date, but with a couple of missed opportunities, and I think his confidence will rise once he gets on the podium.

I think Gasly and Kvyat are good drivers too, but also suffered from lack on confidence when it counted.

I think Albon needs to be given a chance to prove himself for the rest of the season. There's nothing worse than changing drivers mid-season.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: A.Fant (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 23:39

Quote:
Anderis
Red Bull just failed a bit with their driver development program. They insist in hiring only drivers from within it but it seems at the moment they don't have anyone good enough to be a good number 2 driver next to Verstappen.
With "failed" I only mean the current situation. Over the years, they've brought far more good drivers to F1 than anyone else.

I'm wondering if Gasly doesn't deserve a 2nd chance. He's been dominating Kvyat since the relegation back to Toro Rosso and he sometimes beat Albon in the inferior car (like last 2 quali). The problem with that would be that Red Bull would look like absolute muppets if Gasly failed again if they did that.

He did last year, but Kvyat has been running him closer this season than I expected. In Austria and Britain Kvyat was just behind Gasly when he got punctures that ended his races, in Hungary he was running well ahead of Gasly despite starting behind him when Gasly's car broke (though the issues may have slowed him all race) and in the Styrian GP Kvyat was miles ahead finishing 10th with Gasly back in 15th almost 30s behind his teammate.

Gasly has been a way better qualifier, but I'd say Kvyat has on balance had better race performances and while I think Kvyat is a talented driver he is definitely a bottom-half caliber driver on this extremely talented grid.

Posted by: A.Fant (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 23:42

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
Well Seb is a 4xWDC being shown up badly by his younger teammate.
Albon has had disappointing results to date, but with a couple of missed opportunities, and I think his confidence will rise once he gets on the podium.

I think Gasly and Kvyat are good drivers too, but also suffered from lack on confidence when it counted.

I think Albon needs to be given a chance to prove himself for the rest of the season. There's nothing worse than changing drivers mid-season.

It seemed to work out pretty well for Red Bull in 2007, 2016 and 2019. While Albon hasn't been good enough, he was still doing a better job than Gasly at Red Bull last year.

Also don't think Renault regretted putting Sainz in their car over Palmer in 2017.

Date: 03 August, 2020 06:21

I think Red Bull would definitely be regretting losing Sainz. They probably could have done more to keep Dan too - they put him offside by putting all their eggs and favouritism in the Max basket.

In general, RBR needs to review its policy of limiting recruits from within its junior driver programme. They've had some great talent coming through, but if they keep losing their best drivers to other teams, it limits their choices for the A team.

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 07:03

I think it is quite clear now that for some reason (toxic environment? Car designed to suit Max only?) the second driver at Red Bull can just fail. Proof is that last year Gasly was beaten by a Toro Rosso drivers on some occasions and this year the exact reverse is happening. They can decide to be blind about it and axe another driver, or try and solve whatever issue they have.

Date: 03 August, 2020 09:19

Yep Ricciardo or Sainz would be better in the second Red Bull seat but I think Verstappen really did not want Sainz as a team mate.

Posted by: monty3 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 12:17

so dirty f1 air today....

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 18:15

The gap is too big by any yardstick.

Dan and Max were close and a good 'journeyman' like Hulk could keep up with Ric, even outqualifying him 7 times.

Disappointing about Hulk's return because he's surely a candidate should Albon continue to not deliver.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 08:02

Maybe Hulk back in a Williams?

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 18:50

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Maybe Hulk back in a Williams?
How?

Russell-Latifi for 2021 confirmed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net