O/T Gordon Smiley crash
Posted by: Matt Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2020 14:00

The Gordon Smiley crash is the worst crash I have ever seen in the history of Motorsport , what a terrible horrible sport open wheel racing is on oval race tracks, so dangerous.

I have not included the video of the crash or a link to the video of the crash here but you can look it up if you want , but just a WARNING , it is bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2020 14:04 by Matt Brown.

Re: O/T Gordon Smiley crash
Posted by: AlanJones (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2020 17:38

Smileys crash has passed many threads on many forums before. In short; such impact is prevented nowadays with the SAFER barrier and stronger chassis'.
But it is one of the most gruesome footage I've witnessed. Alongside the photos of a burned out wreckage which still contained Roger Williamson. The stories of the paramedics at the site of the Smiley accident and the marshalls are horrific. Luckily he didn't suffer long.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Date: 21 July, 2020 06:28

Yeah I guess open wheel racing on ovals is a lot safer today compared to in the 70's 80's and 90's but geez it was dangerous back then, I still can't believe how bad that Smiley crash was.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 16:03

Certainly the car just disintegrated in Smileys crash and the angle of it all gave him no chance. Just goes to show how far technology has evolved with safety cells etc and like Alan said the safety barrier. Have to say also, I'm liking the new aero screen (by Red Bull technologies) they are running this year too. The races at iowa last weekend proved there worth and I think F1 should go the same way.

Date: 26 July, 2020 01:45

Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Certainly the car just disintegrated in Smileys crash and the angle of it all gave him no chance. Just goes to show how far technology has evolved with safety cells etc and like Alan said the safety barrier. Have to say also, I'm liking the new aero screen (by Red Bull technologies) they are running this year too. The races at iowa last weekend proved there worth and I think F1 should go the same way.

I think the aero screen seems safer than the halo, remember when Massa got hit buy that flying spring? With the aero screen Massa would not have been hit by that flying spring but with the halo the spring might have got through and still hit Massa.

So I vote the aero screen is safer than the halo.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2020 01:53

True Matt but I would bet there are far less wet races in Indy and in fact, the screen would mean we don't get to see races run in anything but perfect weather. Or have they covered that? I think the halo would have had a good chance of absorbing most of the energy from that flying spring. Would have probably saved Henry Surtees too which I saw live and was horrible.

I am unsure. Perhaps there should be a system where you can alternate for wet / dry races?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net