Sainz names as Vettel’s replacement
Posted by: GroveF1 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 10:43

Sainz to replace Seb

[www.skysports.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2020 10:44 by GroveF1.

Re: Sainz names as Vettel’s replacement
Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 15:42

Pleased to see him get this opportunity.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 17:07

interesting…. after being pushed out of any chance of a red bull drive by max.. will sainz now have a better car than him..

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 23:24

Yes, well deserved opportunity for Carlos.

I'd like to have seen Dan get the Ferrari seat, but will be interesting to see how he goes in the McLaren with a Merc engine. McLaren is definitely on the ascendency after a few years of humility.

I reckon Vettel will retire. He'd only be interested in fighting for a 5th WDC and think he's missed his chance. He can hang up his racing boots with an amazing record. Max and Charles now have to take it up to Lewis to stop him breaking all records in the history books.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 17:13

VET was a bit of a one trick pony. In the best car with a slower team mate he was unstoppable but mix it up and he made too many errors. He could easily have taken the title in 2009.

Sainz, I rate. I think he has the mental stamina to take it to anyone, like his old man.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 18:25

The biggest loser will be Bottas imo.
With Ferrari, RBR, Mclaren closed, Renault probably going for Alonso, STR for Redbull young drivers and Mercedes set for George, He won't have much of a chance to stay on the grid yet to find a competitive seat.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Date: 15 May, 2020 22:56

You wonder why Alonso would bother going to Renault. He'd only come back if he had a chance of a WDC, which is not with Renault. Plus I don't think they'd have the budget for him.

Ferrari would have been a good option for him, but can't see him going to Merc, RBR or McLaren. Too many burnt bridges and they don't need him - limited upside and high risk of team disharmony/downside.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 08:01

Well I was wondering when read the news but atleast the talks look to be serious, whether it will come to fruit or not, is something else.
The only logic I can find for him to be back with a midfielder is to be in the game for 2022.No one goes for a driver who's been out of F1 for 3 full years and aging after Schumacher's example so maybe he's trying to be there and show his potential despite his age.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Date: 16 May, 2020 23:52

Yep, I agree that's the only reason Mehryar. But it's a pretty sad reason and if he can't land a top drive now, can't see him landing one in 2022 with all of the top young talent coming through.

I'm an Alonso fan and would love to see him have a final crack at another WDC. However, I fear that's all over for him - stick to the triple crown, or perhaps set a quadruple crown with the Dakar Rally on top?

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 14:52

Alonso's last chance was HAM going to Fiat I think. Why would he come back to Renault? The parent company is knackered as with most of the motor industry. F1 is probably dying. Williams should be in FE right now.

I'm waiting for a Tesla FE team. ALO / HAM would be a great lineup in that.

Posted by: Stu69 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 18:58

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Alonso's last chance was HAM going to Fiat I think. Why would he come back to Renault? The parent company is knackered as with most of the motor industry. F1 is probably dying. Williams should be in FE right now.
I'm waiting for a Tesla FE team. ALO / HAM would be a great lineup in that.

Williams definitely should be in FE and F1. Probably more sponsorship leverage in FE long term.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 20:37

Quote:
Mehryar
The biggest loser will be Bottas imo.
With Ferrari, RBR, Mclaren closed, Renault probably going for Alonso, STR for Redbull young drivers and Mercedes set for George, He won't have much of a chance to stay on the grid yet to find a competitive seat.

Bottas' whole career depends on Russell and Hamilton. I do not believe Mercedes are interested In Vettel if Hamilton wants to continue.

If George can show himself well, it's only another season or 2 before he steps into a Mercedes. The unknown is what Hamilton wants to do. If his departure coincides with George's arrival, Bottas can stay. If George is doing a stellar job and Hamilton signs another 3 year contract, Bottas is done.

Posted by: GroveF1 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 11:27

Maybe a swap with George and Bottas if Hamilton stays at Merc?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net