Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: The Silly Season 2019
Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 August, 2019 20:00

Quote:
Filip
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Its such a shame that kubica fans can't accept how good George is. I like the fact we have kubica, but honestly all those fans going on and on spouting rubbish are tarnishing it all. Has it not occurred to them that even the great Kubica might just, might just be making a few excuses. Of course not, because he can do no wrong or say no wrong in your eyes. You know what I bought a kubica t shirt and I wear it with pride as the guy has achieved the almost impossible but seriously guys I almost wish I hadnt because of some of the stupidity on here. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing some of you just shut up with your moaning.

If you believe that George is 1.5s faster than Kubica because of his pace then seriously you need stop watching F1 and move to other sports. George is a fast driver no questions about it. He won F2, he is in the Mercedes program for a reason. At the same time there are so many instances where Williamsí cars were falling apart, they were late, upgrades were falling off the car, they had no spare parts but when Robert says he doesnít have CONSISTENCY in his car then he is talking nonsense.
Why it is so hard to believe that Williams doesnít have two fully upgraded cars?

They were dead last being 1.5s behind 18th car for the first half of the season. Why would they spend cash on the second car? So that Robert would be closer to George but still 19th and 20th? Waste of money and resources. Now when the first car has some performance they will solve Robertís issues after the summer break but until they would be able to fight for points with the first car I donít think they are going to do anything.

Im quite happy still watching F1 Thank you... Been watching since 1978. First of all I do think George can be 1.5 seconds faster than Robert as he is not rusty and has a much better understanding of current cars via his Mercedes link. Im talking about F2 and F1 cars EXPERIENCE and in general he has far more single seater experience of late ... Also he is not race rusty and probably has a better understanding of current F1 tyres too.. Tbh im fed up of the God like status you try and push upon us like Robert can do no wrong.. Lets be honest hes not really proved anything has he...even before his accident. You could argue that he never had the chance to and I agree but we will never know . That's the point... Some of his god like status is not based on facts so I do see how a guy out for a long time may well be that much slower and not gel straight away with current cars.. As for the car theory... Are you saying Williams gave George a better car on purpose or was it just an accident Ö. ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/08/2019 20:02 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 08:53

Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Im quite happy still watching F1 Thank you... Been watching since 1978. Let's be honest hes not really proved anything has he...even before his accident. You could argue that he never had the chance to and I agree but we will never know .

Interesting post, Clover. I've also been following F1 for donkeys' years and, sure, we'll never know. He did strike me as rather special at the time . . . a bit like Rosberg senior, never really a rookie, mature from the get go. He always had buckets of mechanical savvy . . . fired his race engineer at BMW. By the way, I always thought Heidfeld was underrated too . . . BMW had a great line-up at the time. But then they pulled the plug.

I don't know how he drives at all with one left arm . . . and neither does Juan Pablo, Mark Webber or, interestingly, Rob Smedley . . . he suggested something about God working in mysterious ways )) . . . yet it seems politically incorrect to suggest that this is why he's a few tenths off.

At the end of the day, Williams would be dead last anyway and, with Robert, they come dead last with 20m dollars. What's not to like ))

Posted by: Greg_OR (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 19:44

Quote:
Gunk
[At the end of the day, Williams would be dead last anyway and, with Robert, they come dead last with 20m dollars. What's not to like ))
20m as you said and some extra publicity, but I think Williams could make far better PR use of Robert's comeback.
BTW can anyone explain the absence of RWR on the Verva Street Racing event last weekend? George alongside Robert was on all billboards, event was planned and organized about half a year ago, press notes stated about Williams F1 cars with Robert and George, but at the end only Robert with some 1-2 press/PR people came and Lotus/Renault car was painted blue with small Williams logo.
It is strange for me as 250k people visited the event (3 separate motorsport arenas) through weekend and despite press titles George was warm welcomed by Polish fans at Hungaro.

Short about cars differences - I dont think its on purpose but it is a choice of lesser evil as the team struggles with delivering everything from very begining at tests. Even last worlds by Robert about not risking too much in Germany because any bigger accident would couse big problems in next week GP. Some teams can rebuild heavily demaged cars between FP and qually but Williams could not do it properly in a week sad but true.
So my opinion is that most fresh, better fabricated etc parts are mounted in George car. I could be angry for situation but @#$%& happens and I would like to see whole team in fare better shape.
Getting one car as good as possible at cost of the other is the only reasonable solution as long as team has dificulties at many areas.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 21:34

So is it possible to hear something about Ocon-Hulk situations today? Also it's rumored that Mercedes will confirm Bottas for another year this weekend.

With how the things are falling into pieces, there's more and more chances that we will end up with a choice between likes of Robert, Latifi, Grosjean or Sirotkin...once again a choice between drivers who are not wanted anywhere else.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Date: 29 August, 2019 07:33

I read that it's almost certain that Ocon is going to Renault . . . but on what basis? I don't think Renault wants to buy him out . . . they spent boodles on Ricciardo. Although Prost has said he only wants Renault drivers - which is why Sainz was let go. Something has to give there?

I've read that Grosjean is off to Formula E and Latifi is going to Williams. All the Russian money has moved back into Kvyat, leaving Sirotkin in the car wash. Hulk is expected to be joining Haas.

Nothing confirmed yet though.

Edit to add: The Silly Season says that Ric will either replace Seb at Ferrari or go back to RBR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2019 08:06 by Gunk.

Posted by: Filip (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 08:11

Quote:
Gunk
I read that it's almost certain that Ocon is going to Renault . . . but on what basis? I don't think Renault wants to buy him out . . . they spent boodles on Ricciardo. Although Prost has said he only wants Renault drivers - which is why Sainz was let go. Something has to give there?
I've read that Grosjean is off to Formula E and Latifi is going to Williams. All the Russian money has moved back into Kvyat, leaving Sirotkin in the car wash. Hulk is expected to be joining Haas.

Nothing confirmed yet though.

Edit to add: The Silly Season says that Ric will either replace Seb at Ferrari or go back to RBR

Hulk in Haas is fishy at best right now. Gene Haas stated he considers leaving F1 in 2021 if the rewards pie won't be sliced more evenly between teams. Rich Energy deal is shaky at best, only Kevin does have a major sponsorship right now for the team and Romain's salary is at least few millions. They might look for a driver with a decent sponsorship. Hulk lost his biggest sponsor this year and I'm not sure if anyone new appeared already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2019 08:12 by Filip.

Date: 29 August, 2019 09:31

Quote:
Haas is fishy at best right now . . . They might look for a driver with a decent sponsorship.

I did see something about them and Kvyat . . . which would be quite funny. From F1's least wanted to most wanted in 6 months . . .

Date: 29 August, 2019 12:07

So Bottas is confirmed as expected.
Now it's the time for Ocon-Renault to be confirmed.Don't pay attention that much to what Renault guys say,Gunk.They use to tell alot of bs these days about anything!

Ferrari has set an announcement to be made during Monza weekend.Probably a confirmation about their line-up.

Regarding our team, one can say Williams can't hope for anything more than a pay driver in second seat considering where they are but that's not a rule.We had our worst ever season (until then) in 2013 and finished with a very strong line-up in '14...Between Sirotkin and Latifi, sure I hope for Sergey to find money somehow and get that drive.He was never a fail in our car.

Posted by: Goxxy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 12:15

Ocon to Renault - confirmed.
[www.motorsport.com]

Date: 31 August, 2019 09:52

Abiteboul explains how Ocon is a Renault driver while being on loan from Merc. Funny.

[www.pitpass.com]

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2019 10:12

French Driver available to ride for a French F1 Team? Russel at Williams made sense too!

Date: 18 September, 2019 14:43

A flurry of rumours in advance of the weekend.

Kubica is busy with his plans for next year. He is being linked with a DTM drive for next year. And also with a reserve driver role at Racing Point. Could be nice little earner for Robert, who was something of a mentor to young Stroll at Williams. As we know, Dad is not shy when it comes to splashing out on mentors for young Lance.

Hulkenberg is rumoured to have lost the drive at Haas. It's said he asked for too much money and the team will retain Grosjean. No hard intel but some Twitter chat.

Ferrari has cast doubt on the long term future of Vettel. (I think we knew that already.) Binotto has been talking recently about a clear No 1 and No 2 policy. 'Something like Hamilton and Bottas' he says. This would also appear to rule out any opening for Ric.

Actually, if they want someone like Bottas, why not Bottas?

Date: 19 September, 2019 07:42

Haas retained both drivers, Grosjean confirmed minutes ago.I can't believe it as they have one of the worst line ups in midfield if not the worst.

It leaves very unlikely options for Hulk to stay in F1.
A seat in Alfa is not confirmed yet but I don't see they don't keep Gio.He's fast atleast...Redbull has 3 options to play with, even if Albon fails in next fee races they have Kvyat and then it's only Williams.If Haas fails to pay Hulk enough money, I can't see how Williams can do it, not to mention our place on the grid.

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 09:00

I think Hulk is going all-in for a Vettel early retirement / fallout with Ferrari scenario.

Posted by: Affinity (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 09:07

Apparently, Robert is going to announce his departure from Williams during the press conference today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2019 09:07 by Affinity.

Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 12:43

Kubica confirms he will not drive for Williams in 2020.

[www.racefans.net]

Date: 19 September, 2019 13:06

Everything is set for Latifi except the talent he lacks.

Last year there was a chance with Ocon, money decided against him and we finished up with Kubica.

Now Hulk is available and most likely we will finish with the one who pays more.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 13:39

Take Hulk over Latifi any day but I think money will talk.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 13:48

TBH, I think Latifi would be the least talented driver Williams have had in a very long time and that says a lot considering some of the questionable driver choices we have made in the last 15 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2019 13:48 by Anderis.

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2019 14:51

It will be Latifi, unless a miracle happens and Williams finds 2-3 new major sponsors and can afford to go on without his money. Hardly likely.

I hope at least he will bring good money and that the team will be able to make good use of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2019 14:52 by Myvatn.

Current Page: 5 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net