Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Monaco GP: Sat Practice & Qualifying
Posted by: ihme (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 20:20

Quote:
Francesc
Russell is super quick. That guy would be giving Hamilton a very hard time.

It's sad that so many people dont realize this and think that Kubica is doing horrible when the truth is that most of the current grid would be struggling against George in the same car and Robert being away for so long without racing is doing just fine.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 20:45

Quote:
ihme
Quote:
Francesc

It's sad that so many people dont realize this and think that Kubica is doing horrible when the truth is that most of the current grid would be struggling against George in the same car and Robert being away for so long without racing is doing just fine.

At last, some common sense and realisation how good George is and how well kubica is doing. Bravo ihme and Francesc. Couldn't have put it better

Posted by: Jones_silveira (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 00:37

Onboard

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Stu69 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 07:28

Quote:
Francesc

Yes he is. That is a real positive for the team to rebuild around. A good appointment.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 07:36

Quote:
ihme
Quote:
Francesc

Russell is doing a good job so far but to say he would be giving Hamilton a very hard time or that most of the grid would be struggling against him is a bit premature, we have no way of concluding that. Kubica is his only benchmark and he is not a very good benchmark as he was out of racing for such a long time.

Gasly looked good in Toro Rosso against Hartley too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2019 07:36 by Anderis.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 07:40

Quote:
ihme
Quote:
Francesc

In f1 a tenth or 2 away from your team mate is just fine. Kubica is sadly just tragic. There are no more excuses for the guy.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 10:32

Can't agree Mike. To say Kubica is tragic.?? What you referring to though?? His driving??

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 11:03

Quote:
Mikef1

In f1 a tenth or 2 away from your team mate is just fine. Kubica is sadly just tragic. There are no more excuses for the guy.

Kubica's poor qualy in Barcelona is probably colouring your impression.

Up to and including and Baku 5 drivers were further from their team mates than Kubica to Russell and the average gap was 0.15s

After Monaco, including the Barcelona horror, there are still two 'more tragic' drivers than Kubica overall. At Monaco the Russell Kubica gap was 2.7s. More tragic drivers than Kubica included Gasly, Stroll and Grosjean. (over 4, 6 and 4 tenths.)

To put the 2.7 secs into context, the average gap between Magnussen to Grosjean all races to date is 2.5 seconds.

Overall, Gasly is the most 'tragic', even more than Stroll.

Date: 26 May, 2019 11:22

Quote:
Anderis
Kubica is his only benchmark and he is not a very good benchmark as he was out of racing for such a long time.

True, but it would appear that the recent F2 intake, beaten by Russell, are not slow.

Back to Q averages, Albon is trailing Kvyat by just 0.15s and Norris is only .11 from Sainz.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 12:15

Gunk, you're over-analyzing this.

No, The gap is not a tenth mate, it's 6tenths.There's no reason to take away 1-2 weekends out of calculations.

There's a simple fact that an experienced driver must beat his rookie team mate, atleast in first few races.Good drivers can do it like Sainz is doing it or like Kimi is doing that.Mediocre drivers fail to do so.Like Kvyat is failing to own Albon atm...Terrible ones get beaten by their rookie team mate in every single session and with a big gap.Kubica belongs to that league.There's no analyze to change this truth.

To remind you, I can remember 2 direct posts with you before the season that I was saying we have a rookie driver line up so even if the car is good enough, It would be hard to fight with midfield cars.You answered that you won't see Robert as a rookie and if he fails to perform and beat George in opening races, you would be disappointed.

I can understand your optimism and I hope Monaco is the start of a change for Robert as he looked alot better here than last few qualifyings but so far, It couldn't be worse.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Date: 26 May, 2019 13:44

Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Can't agree Mike. To say Kubica is tragic.?? What you referring to though?? His driving??

His whole comeback story. More of a marketing ploy than anything from a team desperate for cash, and unfortunately hes done nothing to prove he deserves an f1 seat any more. Kubica was a brilliant driver, but hes done absolutely nothing but make excuses that even when unravelled make no difference to his deficit with George.

He had no spares, he has since race 3.

His chassis was worse? Hes on George's baku chassis now since Spain.

Despite all of the nonsense, the deficit remains.

Date: 26 May, 2019 17:57

Quote:
Mehryar
Gunk, you're over-analyzing this.
No, The gap is not a tenth mate, it's 6tenths.There's no reason to take away 1-2 weekends out of calculations.

There's a simple fact that an experienced driver must beat his rookie team mate, atleast in first few races.Good drivers can do it like Sainz is doing it or like Kimi is doing that.Mediocre drivers fail to do so.Like Kvyat is failing to own Albon atm...Terrible ones get beaten by their rookie team mate in every single session and with a big gap.Kubica belongs to that league.There's no analyze to change this truth.

To remind you, I can remember 2 direct posts with you before the season that I was saying we have a rookie driver line up so even if the car is good enough, It would be hard to fight with midfield cars.You answered that you won't see Robert as a rookie and if he fails to perform and beat George in opening races, you would be disappointed.

I can understand your optimism and I hope Monaco is the start of a change for Robert as he looked alot better here than last few qualifyings but so far, It couldn't be worse.

I think the memory plays strange tricks, Mehryar.

I have posted several times I expected to Robert to struggle in Q and using Schu as an example. If you can find something else, please find it.

Quote:
No, The gap is not a tenth mate, it's 6 tenths. There's no reason to take away 1-2 weekends out of calculations.

FYI. I didn't leave any times out of the statistics quoted. Compute them for yourself.

Up to and including Baku the gap was 0.15s. Overall, right up to and including Monaco, the average gap is 3.8 - still not the worst on the grid. Not good enough I agree, but six races?

Would you fire Gasly at this point?

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 18:20

Quote:
Gunk
I think the memory plays strange tricks, Mehryar.
I have posted several times I expected to Robert to struggle in Q and using Schu as an example. If you can find something else, please find it.

Well, don't take any offense...I remember it very well cause there are very few posters whom I read their comments fully always and mostly remember their mindset on something.You, Mike and Fran to name some...So this one was a bold one for me.

Quote:
Gunk
FYI. I didn't leave any times out of the statistics quoted. Compute them for yourself.
Up to and including Baku the gap was 0.15s. Overall, right up to and including Monaco, the average gap is 3.8 - still not the worst on the grid. Not good enough I agree, but six races?

Here are the gaps in Q sessions, Australia to Monaco :

1.707-0.040-0.028-0.393-1.182-0.274

Oz - Baku avg = 0.542

Oz - Monaco avg = 0.604

The bad thing about it is the fact that when they've hit Europe where George knows tracks better, the gap has increased.

Quote:
Gunk
Would you fire Gasly at this point?

I don't think it's a good idea to mix things up when we are comparing 2 drivers, not 3! The fact that Gasly is not performing doesn't change anything about Robert's form in compare with George...Yes, Gasly is doing terrible, does it make Kubica faster?

But the problem with this comparison is that the guy Gasly has to beat in RBR is Max! George isn't that level (I don't say he won't be, talking about present time) and he hasn't been with the team for 2.5 yrs like Max.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Posted by: tomazy (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 20:02

Quote:
Gunk
Team Notes

Dave Robson, Senior Race Engineer: The performance of the car is still disappointing but nonetheless today's running hasgone well. Both drivers carried on from their running on Thursday and again made no mistakes. The car has worked reliably throughout the practice sessions, and this has allowed us to make steady progress this weekend. The engineers both trackside and in Grove worked hard yesterday to improve the car setup and tyre preparation. The team operated seamlessly this afternoon to produce a well-executed Q1 session. Robert and George enjoyed clear runs throughout and were able to push the car to its limits. Unfortunately, the pure pace of the car was not good enough today to challenge the teams ahead. With no yellow flags, or major mistakes by other drivers, we weren't presented with any opportunity to outperform the underlying pace of the car.

George Russell
: I felt like we maximised qualifying. I was pleased with my lap at the end, I put it all on the line and got the most out of the car. It was pretty fun and a thrill to complete a lap like that around the streets of Monaco. For the race, I need to keep it on the black stuff, out of the walls and pick up the pieces from other people's mistakes.

Robert Kubica: The conditions today were better in terms of the feeling and the grip, but that was the case for everybody. From a driving and operational point of view we did everything that we could,
but we were unlucky with traffic when we left the garage. All in all, it was a smooth session and tomorrow will be difficult race.

confused smiley

Date: 26 May, 2019 23:49

Just to clear up those stats. China and Bahrain they qualified within a tenth of other. However in Spain there was a near 2 tenth deficit. Australia was closer to 1.7 second deficit and baku an additional 4 tenths slower. that leaves an average deficit of close to .5s average deficit. With Monaco included the gap is a wholesome .5s per lap.

This was supposed to go down when kubica could ride the kerbs without spares issues. It was also supposed to go down in Spain when the new chassis was supposed to be the equal of Russell.

I dont really want to come across as hating on a driver but the stats themselves are pretty damning.

He has been able to do excellent starts but for whatever reason George always finds a way back past in the race. Obviously had kubica not been used as a brake in Monaco it's very likely hed have beaten George today.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net