Current Page: 51 of 51
Re: The all New FW42
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 18:07

There may come days in the future when we will visit this thread with longing and think "ahh, those good days like 2019 when we were so much better than now".

I'm sure that in 2011, many of you thought that we hit absolute bottom and we would not repeat that in the future as it couldn't get any worse than that for a team with Williams' heritage and resources. But 2011 was actually not THAT bad. Maldonado was in Q3 3 times. Barrichello crashed out trying to overtake Rosberg for what could have been like P6-P7 in the end in Australia and Hamilton took Maldonado out from P6 in Monaco, which should have been P5 had Kobayashi not jumped him thanks to SC. Barrichello lost positions due to SC too and that's why he finished "only" P9.
But we only had to wait 2 years for an even worse season. 2011 was not that bad compared to 2013.
I'm sure many of you thought that 2013 would be an absolute low point in Williams' history and the team would never do that bad again, because doing worse than 2011 was barely possible, but doing worse than 2013 was definetely impossible. But 2013 was actually not THAT bad. Williams might have been the slowest of established teams but they didn't look like being in another Formula compared to the midfield. Bottas even managed to qualify P3 in the rain in Canada and had a very fine weekend in Austin.
But 2013 was not the worst. Then came 2018, when Williams was not only dead last, but at some tracks, they were in the league of their own, many tenths a lap behind the closest team. That was a humiliation 2013 did not see. I'm sure many of you thought it would be completely impossible for Williams to make an even worse car anywhere in the future. With a healthy budget and people like Lowe onboard, the only way was up. Maybe it's hard to get competitive from the bottom but it's easy to improve a very bad car by at least a bit. But 2018 was actually not THAT bad. I think Stroll was Q3 at Monza, the team scored points on a couple of occasions and by late season we were at least able to threaten McLaren consistently.
Then after 2018, came 2019. winking smiley I'm sure many of you are thinking it's impossible to come up with even worse car than what we have now, but...

There's no reason to think this trend would not continue into the next several years. Wait for Williams to field some even worse cars than FW42 in the future. We'll sit here and talk about good old days of FW42 when we maybe did below expectations but at least we didn't have problems meeting the 107% rule and even scored a point and were really close to make Q2 in Hungary.

Posted by: Goxxy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2019 01:55

Couldn't agree more with Anderis, this has been EXACTLY the thing I was asking myself and wondering over the past 8 years...

Posted by: AlanJones (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2019 05:37

Oh well, I'll start watching curling then.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Posted by: Goxxy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2019 07:53

There's a Williams team in curling? Well, why didn't you say so? smiling smiley

Current Page: 51 of 51
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net