Current Page: 49 of 54
Re: News and Stuff!
Posted by: speed (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 15:13

Quote:
shriekback
You might consider that silence in the face of defenses of racism for the sake of "peace and harmony" is precisely what allows racism to persist. Besides, peace and harmony for whom?
Since you're skipping our posts, you can hardly claim to be bothered by them anyway.

skipping as well. maybe you can find an appropriate forum for such a discussion. last time i checked this was an f1 forum & bernie is not relevant to F1 anymore, and i believe his comment was not on f1 (even though i did not read it - but i haven't given him any attention since change of ownership)

If i want to discuss this topic, i will go find a relevant group.

Posted by: rpaloschi (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 15:42

Well... thats how society works isnt it. Hide the poor, hide the bad stuff, look the other way and they dont exist.
Keep the spirit shriekback

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 18:32

Good evening,

Quote:
speed
...... last time i checked this was an f1 forum & bernie is not relevant to F1 anymore, and i believe his comment was not on f1

Have you been to the home page recently?

https:// www. f1network. net

It lists the drivers championship as

World Championship - Drivers
Rank Driver/Team Nat Pts
1 N Rosberg - Mercedes Ger 385
2 L Hamilton - Mercedes GB 380
3 D Ricciardo - Red Bull Aus 256
4 S Vettel - Ferrari Ger 212
5 M Verstappen - Red Bull 204
6 K Raikkonen - Ferrari Fin 186
7 S Perez - Force India Mex 101
8 V Bottas - Williams Fin 85
9 N Hulkenberg - Force India Ger 72
10 F Alonso - McLaren Spa 54
11 F Massa - Williams Brz 53
12 C Sainz - Toro Rosso 46
13 R Grosjean - Haas F1 Fra 29
14 D Kvyat - Toro Rosso Rus 25
15 J Button - McLaren GB 21
16 K Magnussen - Lotus Den 7
17 F Nasr - Sauber Brz 2
18 J Palmer - Lotus 1
19 P Wehrlein - Manor Marussia F1 1
20 S Vandoorne - McLaren 1
21 E Gutierrez - Haas F1 Mex 0
22 M Ericsson - Sauber Swe 0
23 E Ocon - Manor Marussia F1 0
24 R Haryanto - Manor Marussia F1 0

You can't really expect the site to be taken seriously when Nico Rosberg is listed as the current/last season's champion.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 18:34 by IanSmithISA.

Posted by: rpaloschi (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 19:38

no need to attack the people that creates and maitains the fun for us, for free!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 20:07 by rpaloschi.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 20:19

Omg. Some of you guys are so angry, your now attacking the site. Talk about losing all sense of reality.

Seems like some of you want to use this forum to make your grand speeches and use it as a platform for other things other than F1. I sometimes think some people are out to try and impress and confuse as you talk in riddles. In other words trying to look clever.

Well it's not clever. It spanks more of attention seeking.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 21:10

Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Omg. Some of you guys are so angry, your now attacking the site. Talk about losing all sense of reality.
Seems like some of you want to use this forum to make your grand speeches and use it as a platform for other things other than F1. I sometimes think some people are out to try and impress and confuse as you talk in riddles. In other words trying to look clever.

I say we just dont get involved mate. This is an F1 forum and I know what my opinions are. I'm just here because I'm desperate for a good result for Williams and maybe to see some great photos of our car on track. I'm a simple man

Posted by: shriekback (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 01:27

Quote:
The Terminator
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent post Shriekback.

I haven't been on here much during lockdown, been waiting for the racing to return, had a quick look at recent posts and I am very impressed with the way you have responded to "bye Ian's" post.

Thank you for the intelligent and articulate way you have put across your heartfelt argument. You sir have my total respect.

Quote:
rpaloschi
Well... thats how society works isnt it. Hide the poor, hide the bad stuff, look the other way and they dont exist.
Keep the spirit shriekback

Thanks Terminator and rpaloschi. It's stunning how far some people will go to avoid having to even think about such unpleasantries, isn't it? I'd be willing to bet that none of them are in any way victimized by the system of racial injustice we all live in. Yet they are so selfish that they can't even stand to be reminded of it. Still, when they protest (clearly offended), they so often do so while insisting it is the supposedly easy offense taken by those who remind them of realities that they'd rather ignore that is the real problem, and will then assert the most preposterous and self-undermining things to justify their offense.

Take, for instance, this person, who, to justify not wanting to hear any of it, publicly asserts, despite literally everyone involved in F1 disagreeing with him, that the person most singularly responsible for what F1 is today (for better and worse), is no longer pertinent to the sport (as if the world, including F1, sprang out of nothingness this morning!):

Quote:
speed
last time i checked this was an f1 forum & bernie is not relevant to F1 anymore, and i believe his comment was not on f1 (even though i did not read it - but i haven't given him any attention since change of ownership)

It must be a total mystery to him why CNN was interviewing him to begin with. What has Bernie Ecclestone done since dawn, after all?

Or this poor fellow with an obviously poor education who claims (in public!) that anything he can't understand without effort is somehow a riddle deliberately designed to bamboozle him:

Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888

How many politicians have sold under-educated people that line in order to feed them simple-sounding nonsense in order to control them? ('Ignore all that complicated and confusing nonsense coming from economists, social scientists, and my opponent; Immigrants, Blacks--they're the real cause of all your problems!')

Perhaps most depressing to me, however, are assertions like the following by educated people who clearly have some intelligence... people who can understand the sophisticated engineering of F1 cars but profess total incapacity, an underdeveloped character, or both at any effort to grapple with social problems and deny any and all responsibility for them:

Quote:
Mikef1
I say we just dont get involved mate. This is an F1 forum and I know what my opinions are. I'm just here because I'm desperate for a good result for Williams and maybe to see some great photos of our car on track. I'm a simple man

"I'm a simple man." (Clearly meaning that what conditions Black people live in, and what role his favorite sport may have played in reinforcing them, ain't none of his concern.) Oof! Again, shamelessly, on a web-forum!

In any case, in the face of that level of desperation, there's probably little point in trying to engage them. I hope my efforts (and yours) may at least stand to indicate that not all Williams supporters are bigots or their apologists.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 11:03

I've deleted my reply. It's not worth my time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 11:06 by Mikef1.

Posted by: GPL (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 11:14

Mike thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 11:19 by GPL.

Posted by: andy si (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 19:20

Quote:
Mikef1

thumbs down

Date: 04 July, 2020 23:58

Quote:
andy si
Quote:
Mikef1

thumbs down

I just have to say before I leave it alone:

None of you were in any way pressed into your respective commentaries on this issue. You did so, perfectly freely and of your own accord: IanSmithISA held forth voluntarily. Ozzy, Cloverleaf, j-s, speed, as well as MikeF1, GPL and andy si--you all did so as well.

In every instance where I responded to you and found your views objectionable, I carefully explained why. To now act like you are all victims that were minding their own business and would have preferred to not be bothered is just another act of cowardly and juvenile evasion. If you freely choose to weigh in and express an opinion--even if that opinion is that you have no responsibility to have an opinion on the larger matter, and that those who do have such opinions, shouldn't--then at least own that you did so and thereby invited whatever (reasonable) response might come. If you'd prefer to be left alone wallowing in what I consider to be willful and irresponsible ignorance about what is an extremely important issue by any measure, and that F1 (including Williams) is clearly implicated in, then just keep those opinions to yourselves.

So... Grow up! You're all acting like children with this passive/aggressive, "snowflake," performance. At least IanSmithISA (and Bernie Ecclestone who he was defending) each had the courage to own that he weighed in the matter and did so by his own by his own accord.

Posted by: XBX (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 01:31

Alright. Enough

Posted by: Stuart L (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 04:05

Iíve got to say I come here to discuss Motorsport, not racial issues, nor to have a critique as to whether or not specific members here are aware, informed, partaking in the issues, or changing or influencing the change in individual and society behaviours and attitudes.

I respect pretty much everyone here, we all have our own ways / attributes and Iíd say most people here are very aware of racism and BLM.

Equally Iíd say Williams as a team has been corporately very aware of the need to be inclusive for a long time. I know for a fact via my partner who works in the Ďemployment sectorí that Williams HR team reach out to join in all sorts of local and regional initiatives to ensure that their workforce is more representative of society as a whole. A lot of that comes from Claire Williams leadership.

Iím pleased F1, And itís tv coverage is facing up to these issues...at present these do seem sincere but fairly woolly soothing words (like a corporate culture tick box exercise if Iím honest), and it remains to be seen if we will see real change rapidly...but I think it will come over a generation.

Iím 50, Iíve seen a lot of change in my life, and I fully expect to see a lot more. What Iíd say is my children donít notice race at all (They see a person and are vehemently anti racist and v v inclusive in their lifeís), which is a good thing.

Hereís to a good race today, hope Williams rave well, and equally with the world watching I hope Lewis makes a statement on the grid to the international audience that he cares and will lead changes on this issue (issue is the wrong word, itís more important than that...canít find right words). I respect Lewis a lot, heís becoming a leader Outside of the sport and I think we will look back in 30 years and see the change he has driven,

Date: 05 July, 2020 04:13

But back to my first paragraph of the above post...I hope to log on to news here in a week or so and not see Shreikback analysing / critiquing every individual post and calling people out....please.

Date: 05 July, 2020 07:20

Quote:
Stuart L
But back to my first paragraph of the above post...I hope to log on to news here in a week or so and not see Shreikback analysing / critiquing every individual post and calling people out....please.

Did I start it Stuart? So, in your view, folks like Ian and Ozzie can mouth off like ignorant bigots, but I'm your target because I challenge them? I'm 53 and I think you're good evidence for how we need still more change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 07:21 by shriekback.

Date: 05 July, 2020 09:14

Did you start it? Good question.

No, Ian did one of his long structured emails with his signature byeís...an email I didnít read other than gloss over and I found the content largely irrelevant as Bernie is today.

You then reacted....came back with a riposte which is your right, but then made it personal by aping Iann right at the end of your post by using his phrase Ďbyeí.

Then in terms of others here, you label anyone who either debates with you or says please letís not make this a debate topic as Ďevidence that person needs to changeí. Sorry you are making this personal and the broad view Iím reading here is the guys and girls here donít want that.

Even above youíre ending your conversation with me with a very strong I am evidence of the need for change.

Sorry Shreikback you donít know me, yet you seem to think you are a psychologist lecturer and able to critique anyone.

Well Iíll tell you a bit about me. I had my life shattered three years ago with divorce, daughter trying to commit suicide 5 times, and left my job. I was isolated and broken. Prior to that I was sexually abused as a young age.

Have I changed, massively! I am tremendously empathic to people, try to be supportive of all, and create a positive environment for all society. During lockdown Iíve driven a farm shop van giving deliveries to isolated vulnerable people and I pride myself in giving them encouragement, the chance to talk to probably one of the few people they may see in a week.

In life Iíve come across a lot of bullies who impose their viewpoints on others, or who pass crass judgement. I donít think you realise you are doing it, but you are haranguing oeople here who donít want it.

Sorry I have changed as a person through several personal tragedies, Iím better for it, and I donít need someone who doesnít know me taking the high and mighty approach on a computer Keyboard berating everyone not nodding along with him.

I wish you well, here and in life, but I donít want to debate this with you any more

Date: 05 July, 2020 10:32

Quote:
Stuart L
Sorry I have changed as a person through several personal tragedies, Iím better for it, and I donít need someone who doesnít know me taking the high and mighty approach on a computer Keyboard berating everyone not nodding along with him.

I wish you well, here and in life, but I donít want to debate this with you any more

You're right Stuart, I don't know you. I'm nevertheless still sorry for you for the terrible things you have undergone in your life. Sincerely.

The "change" that you mentioned and that I referenced, however, was not change in you, but change in the disposition by white society in general toward people of other races as evident in your children. If they are in fact not racist, great--good for them and good for you. Again, however, individuals not having personal animus against people of other races does not mean racial oppression and inequality are solved. It's well and good, for sure, but it's far from the end of the story.

Further, I think your willingness to countenance ill-conceived dismissals of the whole problem of systematic racism (Ian 's posts) and expressions of outrage at peaceful demonstrations against racism (Ozzy's), while you go out of your way to oppose those who respond critically to their posts, suggests that we still have a ways to go even in many people's outlooks. Why do you find their far from modest or conciliatory initial rants fine, but responses to them seem to you bullying? What does that say about your views?

In any case, I'll say it again: If anyone here (including you) doesn't want their views on such things as racism, protests against it, or the disposition F1 and many drivers are taking toward them to be subjected to any criticism, they can simply keep those views to themselves. If you want to express such views only to people who agree with you, go to the pub with your like-minded mates! Hold forth on a publicly accessible web forum, however, and you are asking for a response.

I didn't instigate any of this. Most of those whom I have addressed at all on the issue have in fact ranted on the issue and/or taken shots at me first. Many of them have not been remotely polite. I am not the bully here, I'm just not going to be bullied.

Lewis Hamilton may not yet be the most powerful advocate for social change, but I think he's getting better at it and I too admire him for his willingness to try. If you're in the UK, here's an extended interview in which he explains his recent embrace of the Black Lives Matter movement. Perhaps some of you would find views similar to those I have been trying to articulate more palatable when coming from him:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/12020911/hamilton-on-diversity

Posted by: Polemik (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 10:39

On friday Aitken will drive in Russell's car... let's hope, he doesn't crash it sad smiley

Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 13:17

Itís not specifically Williams news, but there are rumors that Renault will announce their driver for 2021 on Wednesday. They are saying that itís ďsomeone theyíve worked with beforeĒ. So I guess this can only really mean Alonso or HŁlkenberg. Unless they decided to bring Jo Palmer out of retirement. I know Alonso is quite a polarizing character, but I would personally be really excited to see him back.

Posted by: GroveF1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:32

Quote:
dot_com
Itís not specifically Williams news, but there are rumors that Renault will announce their driver for 2021 on Wednesday. They are saying that itís ďsomeone theyíve worked with beforeĒ. So I guess this can only really mean Alonso or HŁlkenberg. Unless they decided to bring Jo Palmer out of retirement. I know Alonso is quite a polarizing character, but I would personally be really excited to see him back.

Maybe bring back in Alfonso and piquet Jnr 😂

Current Page: 49 of 54
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net