Spanish GP: Pirelli Qualifying Review
By Courtesy of Pirelli
May 12 2019
|Pirelli Spanish GP Qualifying Review|
Valtteri Bottas headed up a
Mercedes one-two in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix, also setting a
new track record. From start to finish of the session, the P Zero Red soft
tyre was used by all the drivers. Bottas was given his Pirelli Pole Position
Award prize (for the third consecutive time this year) by WWE Wrestling
Superstar Cesaro: one of the biggest names in American wrestling.
|KEEP AN EYE ON
- Temperatures. Conditions were cool and cloudy for FP3 and then warmed up for qualifying but were still lower than Friday. Weather seems changeable.
- Strategies. Nobody in the top 10 has opted to start the race on the medium tyre, which might mean that a two-stopper is maybe being considered.
- The front-left tyre is normally the limiting factor in Barcelona but managing the degradation on the rear tyres is also going to be critical.
- Haas. Both cars were in the top 10 and have shown strong pace all weekend.
- Lando Norris: the McLaren driver, in 11th, is the first person to have a free choice of starting tyre tomorrow so could opt to begin on the medium tyre.
MARIO ISOLA - HEAD OF F1 AND CAR RACING
Like we thought, this was an extremely rapid qualifying session, with Bottas lowering the pole benchmark from last year by more than half a second and setting another circuit record. We thought that some drivers might attempt to get through Q2 on the medium tyre but this turned out not to be the case, which means that they are either targeting a two-stopper or they feel confident that a soft-hard strategy would work tomorrow. It's going to be interesting to see which option they choose, and whether or not an alternative strategy from outside the top 10 could challenge their thinking. Weather conditions have varied a bit today, and this could be another factor influencing tyre performance tomorrow.
FREE PRACTICE 3 TOP 3 TIMES DRIVER TIME COMPOUND Hamilton 1m16.568s SOFT C3 NEW Leclerc 1m17.099s SOFT C3 NEW Bottas 1m17.123s SOFT C3 NEW QUALIFYING TOP 10 DRIVER TIME COMPOUND Bottas 1m15.406s SOFT C3 NEW Hamilton 1m16.040s SOFT C3 NEW Vettel 1m16.272s SOFT C3 NEW Verstappen 1m16.357s SOFT C3 NEW Leclerc 1m16.613s SOFT C3 NEW Gasly 1m16.708s SOFT C3 NEW Grosjean 1m16.911s SOFT C3 USED Magnussen 1m16.922s SOFT C3 NEW Kvyat 1m17.573s SOFT C3 NEW Ricciardo 1m18.106s SOFT C3 USED MOST LAPS BY COMPOUND SO FAR COMPOUND DRIVER LAPS HARD C1 Albon 27 MEDIUM C2 Ricciardo 25 SOFT C3 Leclerc, Sainz 24 BEST TIME BY COMPOUND SO FAR COMPOUND DRIVER TIME HARD C1 Hamilton 1m18.647s MEDIUM C2 Hamilton 1m17.655s SOFT C3 Bottas 1m15.406s