Current Page: 1 of 2
Kubica
Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2019 23:56

He's not cutting it is he? Being owned in quali and mostly in the races by a rookie.

He should be better than this. I'm all for accepting circumstances but it's not looking great.

I guess it doesn't really matter as we are not going to trouble the points any way even if we had HAM in the car but it's disappointing.

Re: Kubica
Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 01:04

Very disappointing. Not the comeback anyone wanted.

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 06:45

I still find his comeback a great story, but I agree that the way Russell is beating him is a bit too much.
Actually Williams being so bad is almost good for him, as it made the gap less visible. Had Williams built a semi-decent car, his position would be questioned by now.
In any case, his performance made it clear that the choice between him and Sirotkin was just down to money, as will be for 2020 between him and Latifi.

I still cannot understand why he never competed in any single-seater category before attempting to return - maybe he tried and it just didn’t materialize, but it is a really strange choice.

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 11:43

Quote:
Myvatn
II still cannot understand why he never competed in any single-seater category before attempting to return - maybe he tried and it just didn’t materialize, but it is a really strange choice.

Possibly for insurance reasons. Supposedly he had to pay back his insurance payout from rally accident if he competed in F1 again.

Perhaps the conditions were wider than F1 and he needed an F1 salary to compensate that loss, so no point risking a payback if he was earning a "paultry" F2/F3 wage, which may also have jeopardised his F1 comeback if he flopped there.

Amazing that he has managed a comeback, but sad to see him a shadow of his former self.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: boro1986willliamsf1 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 13:59

I get sick and tired the amount of some not all of his supporters saying it the car they aren't the same we no at the beginning of the season maybe but not now I know the car is a dog but I'll fight the Williams cause rant over

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 14:33

Ok Kubica is slower that George but 2 things.

1. how much faster were people expecting him to be compared to George knowing NOW that the car is a dud.???

2. Are we not giving George enough Credit on how hes dragging that extra speed out of the car.. I for one don't think enough people are giving George the credit he deserves. He is the F2 champion after all and not some pay driver like we had in the past or Daddy boy who has been bought his place... Hes a really really good racing driver and I think he is future F1 world championship material. Kubica is actually up against a driver of very high calibre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2019 14:34 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 15:07

It is unfortunate. He is clearly as quick as he was, just that physical limitation costing him too many tenths. Essentially, he drives with one hand and one arm.

I don't know why he bothers people so much. His limitations were well known to Williams - ask Smedley. Claire couldn't find the money anywhere else once Markelov senior was arrested.

Unfortunately, there aren't any benefits of Robert's experience either, since the current car isn't being developed. He's just a small part of the train crash that is Williams at the moment.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 17:38

He's paying 15m a year for a seat.Guys what were your expectations then?

If someone's "anything" good, he doesn't need to bring such amount of money or atleast there were more teams interested.

The writing was on the wall from 2017.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 19:04

I was just reading an article at Autopsport (Verstappen: Claims F1 cars aren't challenging enough are "bull****") where Max Verstappen calls BS on claims that current F1 cars are easy to drive (Hamilton's claim he could drive 3 consecutive races and Grosjean's claim it harder to drive karts):

Quote:
"We are now so much faster than we've been in previous years. I don't understand where this is coming from."
Asked about Hamilton's claim that he could easily do three races in a row, Verstappen said: "If you have such a good car, you can drive at 90%." Verstappen said he also was confused about why Grosjean made so much of finding a kart hard to drive.

"What Grosjean said, I don't understand at all," explained the Red Bull driver. "With karting you use very different muscle groups.

"If I would go karting now, after 20 or 30 laps I would also be completely messed up. While when I was 15, I could drive 300 laps in one day and had no problems at all.

"Does that mean that I am not as strong as when I was 15? No, not at all. You just use very different muscles. You ask a lot more from your forearms.

"It makes no sense at all to make that comparison.

"If you would put mates of mine who are still karting in a racing car, they wouldn't feel their necks the next day, while they drive 300,000 laps a year in a kart. So I think this is a very strange comparison."

Kubica is now in his mid-30s, he's been away from F1 for over half a decade, he's not driving a good car and he has a disability. I don't think it was ever realistic to expect him to compete at a high level. I don't think the teams that tested him ever did so with the belief that he would actually drive for them. But money talks.

Date: 25 June, 2019 20:48

Off Topic, regarding Max' claim well...I always buy what Lewis says over such a young guy.Lewis has the experience of driving 3-4 different generation of cars so he knows way better what he's talkin about.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 04:20

I agree with much of the above. I would love him to do well in our dog of a car but a dog of a car and a driver who can't cut it is not a good look.

I think he will be out after this year and then the question is about Merc, BOT, OCO and RUS

I've always said that RUS reminds me of a Jim Clark or Jackie S type of driver. But I wouldn't put him against HAM just yet.

Date: 26 June, 2019 08:16

Ocon is hoping that his future will be clear very soon.
I believe he's trying to find his way out of Mercedes contract and replace Gasly.
Maybe even this season.There's not no place for him in Mercedes program.
Bottas is doing fine and George is more impressive in his rookie year than Ocon.
Choices are obvious for Mercedes imo.

Posted by: Damon96 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 12:35

The Hulk is free end of this season, will be interesting to see if Renault extend or go for Ocon. Gasly's days must be numbered. Not sure over Haas either, they must be sick of all the complaining K Mag + Grosjean do.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 15:53

Quote:
Damon96
The Hulk is free end of this season, will be interesting to see if Renault extend or go for Ocon. Gasly's days must be numbered. Not sure over Haas either, they must be sick of all the complaining K Mag + Grosjean do.

Renault would have been happy to carry on with Sainz but for the RBR connection. RBR don't want Ocon unless he's Mercedes free. Something has to give. In the meantime, Franz Tost is talking of a possible Kvyat return to RBR.

Posted by: erratic (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 17:52

Georges' future is with Mercedes. He has shown this season what a talent he is. Hoping Williams can give him something competitive next season to mix it up with other teams.

It's a shame for Kubica, but it happens. Needs to keep his head down and his opinions to himself, we know the car is a dud, he doesn't have to keep reminding us (or his hard working support team)

Posted by: Jones_silveira (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 19:26

[twitter.com]

Franco Nugnes na łamach włoskiego Motorsportu zasugerował, że Russell korzysta z identycznej jednostki napędowej co Bottas i Hamilton, a Kubica używa słabszej wersji silnika, z której korzysta również zespół RP.

Poniżej krótkie zestawianie prędkości maksymalnych z dwóch ostatnich wyścigów.
GP Kanady:
Russell - 331,1 km/h.
Kubica - 326,6 km/h.
GP Francji:
Russell - 334,6 km/h.
Kubica - 315,9 km/h.
Wnioski nasuwają się same...

Google translate

Franco Nugnes in Italian Motorsport suggested that Russell uses the same power unit as Bottas and Hamilton, and Kubica uses a weaker version of the engine, which is also used by the RP team.

Below is a brief summary of the maximum speeds from the last two races.
Canadian GP:
Russell - 331,1 km / h.
Kubica - 326,6 km / h.
GP of France:
Russell - 334,6 km / h.
Kubica - 315.9 km / h.
Applications arise on their own ...

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 20:24

If I were Williams I'd be asking for a refund on KUB's engine. Doesn't make sense that Merc would give him a lower spec donk for the money they pay.

The car's aero and handling are back of the grid, but there's no reason not to put the best possible Merc engine in the car to compensate.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Date: 26 June, 2019 20:53

More of stupid and meaningless stats!

It may well be down to the fact that George has set it with DRS on and Robert never managed to use it through the race or maybe the confidence in braking made George doing it abit later or combination of both...let's think none of them: It can be setup and wing levels.

Then comes 2 questions.Why on earth does Williams and Mercedes need to do this? What's the advantage? Mercedes fooling themselves about their future driver? Or Williams giving worse powerunit to a driver who's paying 15m a year?! It must be the other way if there ever was such a difference between 2 units!

Next question is how media and polish fans see something that Robert himself has not seen yet! He's been complaining about grip level all the time, how he must fight through the corners.Absolutely no word on losing it on straights...not even a mention....though up until now, maybe he can use this as an excuse.

Boring!

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 20:55

Quote:
Mehryar
More of stupid and meaningless stats!
It may well be down to the fact that George has set it with DRS on and Robert never managed to use it through the race or maybe the confidence in braking made George doing it abit later or combination of both...let's think none of them: It can be setup and wing levels.
Russell could be running a lower downforce setup too or just have better corner exits.

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 21:33

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
If I were Williams I'd be asking for a refund on KUB's engine. Doesn't make sense that Merc would give him a lower spec donk for the money they pay.
The car's aero and handling are back of the grid, but there's no reason not to put the best possible Merc engine in the car to compensate.

Why? Maybe Claire couldn't afford to purchase the most current spec Merc engine for both drivers.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net