Current Page: 1 of 3
Canada race
Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 20:51

Enjoyable race. Pity about the Vettel penalty, it was a really borderline accident, but I guess that was right in the end - he pushed Hamilton on the wall...

Terrible races for Gasly and Bottas. Lewis is having it even too easy this year.

Not much to say about Williams. We look a bit better than in the first races, especially race pace. Kubica was really bad all weekend however.

Ps: to give him credit when it is due, good race by Stroll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 20:52 by Myvatn.

Re: Canada race
Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 21:24

Quote:
Myvatn
Enjoyable race.
Not for me. I can't recall a more boring edition of F1 Canadian GP. The only race this year I watched that wasn't absolute rubbish was Bahrain. I just watch a race and it doesn't feel like anything is going to happen ever. Only thing that changes the outcome of the race are some small incidents and 5 seconds penalties.

Stroll outperezed Perez today.

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 21:33

Well, this one was at least tense until the Vettel - Hamilton debacle, and not the usual snoozefest grinning smiley

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 21:42

That penalty was a farce

Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 21:54

Quote:
Mikef1
That penalty was a farce

I think it depends on the telemetry. After his mistake, was Vettel trying to regain control and avoid putting his competitors in danger or was he trying to avoid losing his position because of his mistake irrespective of the consequences for his competitors. If the former, I agree; if the latter, the penalty was deserved.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 22:24

Something of a turn around for Renault here, but nothing much else. Silly penalty, deserved the boos. Bit of a waste of an afternoon. I'm glad I don't have to do a highlights programme.

Date: 09 June, 2019 23:16

Quote:
Myvatn

Ps: to give him credit when it is due, good race by Stroll.

It's also notable that Stroll was only hundredths off Perez in Q.

Under the radar, this was the first time Giovinazzi outqualified Raikonnen and finished ahead in the race.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2019 23:17

Quote:
Gunk
Something of a turn around for Renault here, but nothing much else. Silly penalty, deserved the boos. Bit of a waste of an afternoon. I'm glad I don't have to do a highlights programme.

Tbh, I didn't get why Lewis was getting that Boo on podium! I really liked Ferrari to win for sake of championship but there was nothing wrong with Lewis.He just kept racing as hard as he could and pushed Seb to make a mistake and then it was decided somewhere else.

I think that booing was unfair tbh.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Date: 09 June, 2019 23:39

Quote:
Mehryar
Quote:
Gunk

Tbh, I didn't get why Lewis was getting that Boo on podium! I really liked Ferrari to win for sake of championship but there was nothing wrong with Lewis.He just kept racing as hard as he could and pushed Seb to make a mistake and then it was decided somewhere else.

I think that booing was unfair tbh.

I took it that most were booing the result, not Lewis personally. I could be wrong of course.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 00:39

I can see both sides of that incident. You could also argue leaving the track and gaining an advantage which I think would have been a better reason for the penalty. ie. he made a mistake but suffered no loss off from it. One could also argue that it was his choice to block HAM on the outside and maybe he had a little more control than he lets on and could have left room.

You could also argue that VET had an opportunity to pull a 5sec gap on HAM after the penalty was quickly awarded.

Anyway, apparently Ferrari are appealing this so I guess all the telemetry will be presented.

Posted by: George Orwell (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 01:07

"Great call from @SkySport Italy:
back in 2016, MonacoGP, Hamilton did to Verstappen same as Vettel did to Hamilton today.
What sanction F1 gave to Hamilton?
NONE!"

[www.gpblog.com]

[twitter.com]

Date: 10 June, 2019 10:47

But there have been other instances where drivers have done similar and had the same penalty .

I still think it was OK. I have read that the key is that VET started turning left once he was in control, looked in his mirror and immediately opened the wheel allowed his car to drift to the wall in a deliberate block. Probably entirely instinctively and without malice.

I also think the penalty was not so harsh. VET could have pulled away again if he had the speed. It gave Lewis a chance to properly overtake and also if anything had happened to HAM, VET would still have won. As it was, the penalty awarded says 'if things stay like this then HAM gets the win' but also leaves the race open to the usual things like reliability / accidents etc.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 11:05

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
But there have been other instances where drivers have done similar and had the same penalty .
I still think it was OK. I have read that the key is that VET started turning left once he was in control, looked in his mirror and immediately opened the wheel allowed his car to drift to the wall in a deliberate block. Probably entirely instinctively and without malice.

I also think the penalty was not so harsh. VET could have pulled away again if he had the speed. It gave Lewis a chance to properly overtake and also if anything had happened to HAM, VET would still have won. As it was, the penalty awarded says 'if things stay like this then HAM gets the win' but also leaves the race open to the usual things like reliability / accidents etc.

But neutralising the only fight for the lead we've ever had. Who doesn't want to see Hamilton and Vettel fighting as hard as possible for position. Instead make f1 more boring
Give the win to Hamilton so he doesn't have to overtake.

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 11:54

Quote:
an.jo
Quote:
Mikef1
That penalty was a farce

I think it depends on the telemetry. After his mistake, was Vettel trying to regain control and avoid putting his competitors in danger or was he trying to avoid losing his position because of his mistake irrespective of the consequences for his competitors. If the former, I agree; if the latter, the penalty was deserved.

Have them swap positions and if Seb refuses then enforce a penalty. It's not rocket science plus the consistency from the stewards is laughable.

Date: 10 June, 2019 12:41

That might have been better Phat. They would do that at Monaco.

Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 15:38

Poring over the time sheets it's painful to see that Kubica was way behind Russel once again. Not at all encouraging for him. The story around his comeback is getting harder and harder to spin. He's simply not fast enough, it seems.

I'm a big Kubica fan and was happy to see him back with Williams. But now I'm just hoping he bows out with some dignity. I doubt he'll find some speed vs. Russel all of the sudden.

Vettel's penalty was unfortunate. That's racing though. It just stings more under the current circumstances. Another Mercedes win.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 17:52

Well, I tried to not be the first one to be vocal about his terrible pace but the first stint...It was a joke tbh.Robert was losing a second per lap compared to George...On a 75sec lap! That's just terrible even if you think he's a new Hamilton.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 18:35

Well seems like kubica has found some speed here at least.
☺️

[youtu.be]

Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 19:08

Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
an.jo
Quote:
Mikef1
That penalty was a farce

Have them swap positions and if Seb refuses then enforce a penalty. It's not rocket science plus the consistency from the stewards is laughable.

OK, I'll amend my comment: a penalty was deserved in the latter case. Whether or not forcing a swap of position is classified as a pentaly, it seems to me that making Vettel give up the lead would have been harsher than the 5-second penalty. If I'm Vettel and I am told by my team either I give up the lead or I will receive a 5-second penalty, I know what I would do.

Date: 10 June, 2019 20:18

But Vettel did not gain an advantage by leaving the track, nor did he squeeze Hamilton into the wall. Hamilton drove into an ever decreasing space.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net