Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spanish Two day In Season Test
Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 15:39

Do my eyes deceive me, or are we NOT at the bottom of the timesheets??

Posted by: Gwanni (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 17:05

We ended 9 on the timesheet with 1.18.5

Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 21:58

Some improvement over qualifying.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 22:07

C5 tyre...I think that worths around a second in compare to Soft compound of Spanish GP weekend.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 22:32

Impressed by Mazepin, in a Merc he looked just as quick or quicker than Russell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 22:33 by phatjack.

Posted by: cecogor (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 06:56

On C4 tyre Latifi set time 1.18.915.
Respect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 06:57 by cecogor.

Posted by: GPL (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:09

That is under no real pressure, but yes a very good time indeed in a new strange@#$%&car.

Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 16:53

Were there updates to the car during testing? I’m wondering if they might have found some more speed, we seem much closer to “normal” lap times.

Posted by: WilliamsF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 19:18

Hi everyone, Ive been following the forum for a while and thought Id start contributing. Ive followed Williams since they announced Leyland sponsorship on the BBC news when I was a kid, so I feel everyones pain with the current level of performance.
I am a bit suspicious of the teams development claims over the last few years. They have had fundamental problems for quite a few years and have never resolved them, other than putting more resources into next years car; but in my mind that means do they ever fully understand whats gone wrong? Last years car is a clear case in point. Even the FW36 was not that great when you think about the engine advantage they had over everyone except Mercedes. They should have won races.
Cars with fundamental problems probably require fundamental solutions, and when do we ever see those (dumping exhaust blown diffusers?). Dont get me onto Autosports use of the word radical!
MikeF1 is right when he says they cant afford to not develop this years car. They need to understand whats wrong, and show the world that they can develop fixes. This will attract sponsors and talented people who see a future for the team. Perhaps they should see this years car as a two year investment, unless there is something really fundamentally wrong with it.

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 05:06

Welcome aboard WilliamsF1Fan.

Can't believe it's taken you this long to join in the discussion, but great first post!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 06:32

Quote:
WilliamsF1Fan
Hi everyone, Ive been following the forum for a while and thought Id start contributing. Ive followed Williams since they announced Leyland sponsorship on the BBC news when I was a kid, so I feel everyones pain with the current level of performance.
I am a bit suspicious of the teams development claims over the last few years. They have had fundamental problems for quite a few years and have never resolved them, other than putting more resources into next years car; but in my mind that means do they ever fully understand whats gone wrong? Last years car is a clear case in point. Even the FW36 was not that great when you think about the engine advantage they had over everyone except Mercedes. They should have won races.
Cars with fundamental problems probably require fundamental solutions, and when do we ever see those (dumping exhaust blown diffusers?). Dont get me onto Autosports use of the word radical!
MikeF1 is right when he says they cant afford to not develop this years car. They need to understand whats wrong, and show the world that they can develop fixes. This will attract sponsors and talented people who see a future for the team. Perhaps they should see this years car as a two year investment, unless there is something really fundamentally wrong with it.
FW36 and FW37 were very good cars, as shown by the comparison with the other Mercedes customer teams (Force India, McLaren and Lotus). But for the rest I agree, the team has been going backwards since 2016 and their attempt to reverse this trend in 2018 by changing design philosophy has been an unmitigated disaster.
This years car seems at least responsive to change, so maybe they can use it as a base for development. But more to test parts for next year than anything else.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 10:07

Quote:
WilliamsF1Fan
Even the FW36 was not that great when you think about the engine advantage they had over everyone except Mercedes.
I find the fact that Williams didn't pick up any of the 3 wins Mercedes dropped in 2014 as quite an injustice considering the fact how many times they were clear 2nd best team after Mercedes that year.

I agree with Myvatn that FW36 and FW37 were very good cars and it annoys me that people dismiss it with the "engine advantage" argument so often. There were more Mercedes-engined teams than just 2 and Williams were beating all but the factory team with a clear margin. Also, if they were able to keep the gap to Mercedes on a 2014 level, they would be closer to top3 teams than to midfield in 2019 and sometimes even beating Red Bull and Ferrari.

Date: 17 May, 2019 12:59

Thank you for your welcome (Sm150)

Date: 17 May, 2019 13:24

Myvatn, Anderis
Hello and thanks for your comments. I dont necessarily disagree with you but the FW36 was a low drag car which created problems in high downforce scenarios such as Monaco, Hungary, and crucially when it rained. The latter of course can happen quite often at F1 races, and it surprised me that Williams went that route on aero. Torro Rosso has been a great example in the past of why thats not the route to go. You are right, there were other Merc powered teams around, and Williams had the second best car (overall) on the grid, but they failed to turn that into a race winner when others did. Like many I assumed theyd identified the design issues in the 36 that would allow them to compete better with the FW37, but correct me if Im wrong, they initially went backwards, despite still having the best engine and two decent drivers. The fact that they have consistently failed to build a better car than the FW36 suggests that they either dont have the design talent, or their tools are out of date. Was it Kubica that said recently that the simulator hasnt got the current Baku track? Given Williams probably invented the world of F1 simulation in the 80s, thats almost scandalous that they are in that position. Money though is everything in motorsport, especially F1, so it should be no real surprise that the team cannot compete with the likes of Merc, Ferrari, and Red Bull. Whats not acceptable though is its failure to deliver a car thats at least there or thereabouts in terms of initial performance.

Posted by: tedsouf (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 15:15

If one looks at the competitive level of Williams in the last decade or so, i believe he would be at a loss over the trend of bad cars/respectable cars. 2009 and 2010 were ok, 2011 abysmall. Of Sam Michael goes and Coughlan steps in. 2012 is surpsingly competitive and 2013 is abysmall as well. Who was responsible for 2012? Sam or Mike? Same for 2014. Was it Symonds or Coughlan responsible for the concept that took 2 3rd in 2015 and 2016?
It almost seems that even when Williams built a good car is more down to chance.. Otherwise the people that were identified as responsible for the good cars would have been kept/promoted and we would not have been at this headless mess right now..

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 10:24

Both Ferrari and Red Bull had things go pear shaped which made Williams look promising.

Unfortunately that's the reality no matter how much of sugar coating you apply.

Date: 18 May, 2019 13:15

Quote:
tedsouf
If one looks at the competitive level of Williams in the last decade or so, i believe he would be at a loss over the trend of bad cars/respectable cars. 2009 and 2010 were ok, 2011 abysmall. Of Sam Michael goes and Coughlan steps in. 2012 is surpsingly competitive and 2013 is abysmall as well. Who was responsible for 2012? Sam or Mike? Same for 2014. Was it Symonds or Coughlan responsible for the concept that took 2 3rd in 2015 and 2016?
It almost seems that even when Williams built a good car is more down to chance.. Otherwise the people that were identified as responsible for the good cars would have been kept/promoted and we would not have been at this headless mess right now..

This is kind of what I was getting to tedsouf. There is little in the way of year on year (or in season) progress. Its as if they keep firing their entire design team and start afresh. To keep writing off a year and starting afresh the next year isn't helping them because they never know if they've stopped making the same mistakes. They need to work out what's wrong, make improvements that they can afford to make, and show progress. I wouldn't mind betting the good cars relate to significant rule changes.

Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 15:55

Think you guys have hit the nail on the head.... Their has been no consistency and it does seem odd that they have never been able to develop a good car and build on it.... season after.

It does look like it pure good luck if they produce a good car, doesnt it...

Personally Im fed up of the starting next years car earlier theory because this years car cant be developed... It hasnt actually produced anything of good or shown that we have understood what was wrong the previous year.

Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 18:56

Agree with you guys. I think it's obvious that the team don't understand the core problem. That is very worrying.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net