Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Spanish GP : Saturday Prac & Qualifying.
Posted by: speed (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2019 22:20

Much closer to 19th but let's see if that persists elsewhere.

RK... 1.2 secs is huge!! Find something fast.

Posted by: supa213 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 05:21

Quote:
Anderis
Did you know that Williams is still the last team to beat Mercedes for PP in Spain? (Sm100)

Isn't Williams still the only other team besides Merc, Ferrari and RB to win a race since 2012 (Not counting Lotus as they dont exist anymore)? Crazy if still true and puts into perspective how broken things are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 05:22 by supa213.

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 06:01

Good morning,

Memory often plays a funny trick on us. :-)

1995 - Williams and Benetton won most, Ferrari 1
1996 - Ferrari and Williams won most, Ligier 1 (Monaco in the rain)
1997 - Ferrari, Williams and McLaren won most, Benetton 1
1998 - Ferrari and McLaren won most, Jordan 1
1999 - Ferrari and McLaren won most, Jordan 2, Stewart 1
2000 - Only Ferrari and McLaren won
2001 - Only Ferrari, William and McLaren won
2002 - Only Ferrari, William and McLaren won
2003 - Ferrari, William and McLaren won most, Jordan 1, Renault 1
2004 - Ferrari, William and McLaren won most, Renault 1
2005 - McLaren Renault and won most, Ferrari 1
2006 - Ferrari and Renault won most, Honda 1

During this period there definitely were more winning teams, but probably not as many as we remember, especially as Benetton and Renault were the same team, different branding.

During the recent period we have seen a number of factors other than budget that may be causing the reduced number of winners.

The cars are less stressed, as the engines and gearboxes have to last longer and longer these components are run at well under their ultimate performance levels so you don't see races where the top teams all have issues.

Cars are taken apart far less remember; practice put in a fresh engine, qualifying put in a fresh engine, the race put in a fresh engine. Resulting in failures due to tired mechanics "not tightening an oil pipe properly" are greatly reduced.

The circuits are more forgiving, you have to make a very bad mistake on most circuits not to rejoin whereas in the past a small mistake would leave you stuck in the gravel.

I believe that this also has a knock on effect, drivers who in the past would be dropped because they didn't finish the race as they were in the gravel, now rejoin and finish so they are not discarded as quickly.

The list of recent winners doesn't include McLaren but I don't think that they are excluded because of budget, somehow they just lost the winning way.

So I would agree that it is harder to win than in the past, but that there was a golden age where there were lots of winners every season may be less true in reality than in memory.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 06:12 by IanSmithISA.

Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 07:34

Nice wrap up and good points Ian.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Posted by: supa213 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 10:56

Great analysis Ian. Looking at it that way, you are right in that memory can definitely cloud things. Looking to the future, I guess even with a budget cap, it's still going to be hard to win for anyone other than the best funded teams with historically the best infrastructure.

The best teams will still be able to hire the best designers/have the best equipment that can produce within the budget.

The current top teams are still more likely to produce these than anyone else. Brawn has his work cut out that's for sure! It would be nice though to see many potential winners.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 13:35

Some small steps, which suggest the car just might be responding to tweaks.

About the gap to Robert. As I've posted earlier, it doesn't surprise me. There's an interview with Giovinazzi who is saying how hard it is to get back after a couple of years it. When first in a Sauber, fresh from F2, he was on it straightaway and giving Wehrlein a hard time.

A theory. Last year, Stroll and Sirotkin were very even in qualifying, when I confidently expected Stroll to be blown away in Q. So I concluded that the unpredictable nature of the car was limiting both to the same extent.

Robert and George have been close, but when there is a real improvement in the car - which there never was last year - George can go a lot faster.

my thoughts about Stroll are underlined by his performance this year - out in Q1 in every race so far. Not so Perez, who has even made Q3 twice.

A pity about Stroll, who is a good race driver, good at overtaking, never ruins anyone's race, but simply doesn't have the knack of a hot lap.

Anyway, my conclusion from all this is that they are making rather more progress with the car this year than last.

Posted by: Gwanni (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 13:45

[www.autosport.com]

We did not bring any updates ... is a bi5 worrying

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 14:03

Quote:
Gwanni
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143331/russell-encouraged-by-gap-to-rest-in-qualifying
We did not bring any updates ... is a bi5 worrying

They did say the priority was to fill the parts inventory and presumably improve the quality of shoddy rushed parts that, in some cases, didn't even fit.

Posted by: GPL (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 14:09

Some revised parts work, so do not.

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 05:42

Good morning,

I had hoped that Stroll would do well at RP, for all the stick that he rightly got he was not usually nasty to his critics and didn't race badly especially given that he was in F1 too early.

The trouble is we have now had a few qualifiers and in Q1 we have

Australia
Perez 1:22.908
Stroll 1:23.017

Bahrain
Perez 1:29.893
Stroll 1:30.217

China
Perez 1:34.026
Stroll 1:34.292

Baku
Perez 1:42.249
Stroll 1:42.630

Spain
Perez 1:18.286
Stroll 1:18.471

Given that Stroll is now in his third season it does seem that he is okay as a driver, but that's it.

These numbers might be showing convergence between the two drivers as Stroll settles in at RP, but this could also be wishful thinking.

What does this do to Ocon's reputation though, it would seem to suggest another good driver but not the sensation that a team should drop everything for?

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 06:35 by IanSmithISA.

Posted by: erratic (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 05:58

Quote:
IanSmithISA
What does this do to Ocon's reputation though, it would seem to suggest another good driver but not the sensation that a team should drop everything for?

The same thing could probably be said for a lot of the grid. Once people reach a certain level of ability, they are all much of a muchness. Who would believe Vettel is a 4x world champion? He hasn't set the world alight in a Ferrari.

There are the exceptional talents, in any sport, they transcend it. Hamilton in F1, Federer in tennis, Messi in football, Bolt in athletics. They are the athletes people would drop everything for.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 07:11

Quote:
IanSmithISA
Australia
Perez 1:22.908
Stroll 1:23.017

Bahrain
Perez 1:29.893
Stroll 1:30.217

China
Perez 1:34.026
Stroll 1:34.292

Baku
Perez 1:42.249
Stroll 1:42.630

Spain
Perez 1:18.286
Stroll 1:18.471
Well, that's only 0.253 secs average gap, when you look how Perez managed Q3 a couple of times while Stroll was out in Q1 you would think it was a bigger gap on average. There was a similar average gap last year between Ricciardo and Verstappen.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net