W series
Posted by: boro1986willliamsf1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 14:34

Anybody tuning in I might give if a go

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Re: W series
Posted by: CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 15:44

When does it start?

Date: 04 May, 2019 16:10

2.45 PM channel 4 UK you'll catch it on 4+1

100% Williams

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 17:06

Good afternoon,

I have taped it.

I am hostile to the idea, but I will watch and learn and confirm or deny my prejudices.

I am old, I remember Nadia Comaneci, a brilliant gymnast but supported to success by state support.

It is a bit like British Cycling, massive amounts of state aid (sorry the National Lottery) well spent can mean success.

Bye

Ian

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 18:00

Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good afternoon,
I have taped it.

I am hostile to the idea, but I will watch and learn and confirm or deny my prejudices.

I am old, I remember Nadia Comaneci, a brilliant gymnast but supported to success by state support.

It is a bit like British Cycling, massive amounts of state aid (sorry the National Lottery) well spent can mean success.

Bye

Ian

Ian, considering your old and prejudices aside women in motor sports does appeal to me. it suggests to me given an equal opportunity in a man's sport can demonstrate just as capable.

Date: 04 May, 2019 18:17

I can see the potential of the series it's about the drivers not the cars one idea I like if you has a fast car one round the next you loose it so it's all about skill lets see how it develops oh and the machanics get moved around

100% Williams

Posted by: The Terminator (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 20:45

I watched, it was okay. I like the concept but it is difficult to work out which driver is which due to the way the cars are allocated. To make it more confusing, they will be in different cars each race, so not easy to follow.

Good to see Ted and DC involved in the tv work.

Date: 05 May, 2019 08:18

Good morning,

I watched it and ended up a little bit confused as I was very unsure what I was watching in absolute performance terms.

If I knew that the winning/pole time was n seconds faster or slower than a known current driver then it would all be clearer, so I think that we need an F1 or top F2/F3 driver taking part on the day to set a reference time.

The risk with this of course would be that the basic idea of the series could be undermined if these reference times were much faster than the competitors'.

Given that this was the first race a lot of drivers would still be getting used to the car and looking at Google shows that Jamie Chadwick is a good driver but not obviously outstanding in the sense of being the next F1 champion.

As the safety car came out the race was just over 20 minutes long and the 8th place driver was 17 seconds of the winning pace, if other races follow the pattern of this one then there will quickly be a large portion of the grid ruling themselves out,leaving only 7 drivers competing for the win.

I can't see the interest in the series being sustained unless there is useful information for the motor sport teams or a TV audience.

The information from the first race is that the those drivers who already have a known public history are winning.

For a TV audience they need to find something to make the viewers care about the races, especially if the series is in the position of there are no driver's careers benefiting from their results in the series.

I have left it on series record so I will probably watch most of the other races, but if I miss any I won't be bothered. :-)

Bye

Ian

Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2019 09:34

Can't watch it here in Australia. Even on their YouTube site they don't have a highlights package which is a bit disappointing.

Posted by: Williams-123 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2019 09:52

So is Jamie Chadwick really Lance Stroll?

Posted by: phatjack (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2019 11:52

Caitlan Wood is Lance Stroll.

Date: 06 May, 2019 08:25

Good morning,

Quote:
Andrew Hooper
Can't watch it here in Australia. Even on their YouTube site they don't have a highlights package which is a bit disappointing.

The race is only 30 minutes long so I would expect that the effort needed to create a highlights show would be to great. :-)

I wonder if the whole race will appear on line after a bit of a delay to keep the paying TV companies happy.

It is far, far to early to write the series off, but if you look at the results, and remember that there was a safety car meaning that the actual race was only 20 minutes, then you can probably imagine that the field quickly spread out with a couple of clusters.

[wseries.com] has coverage on channel 10, is this available to you?

Interesting to see that W series have released 2 female mechanics and apparently have said "Sadly, we were unable to continue with the two mechanics concerned, for underperformance reasons."

Actually specifying under performance is pretty unambiguous!

Bye

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 08:34 by IanSmithISA.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 07 May, 2019 18:52

It was a good race. I do think though that the cars should be faster. Maybe old GP3 spec. 400hp vs 270hp.

It's all based on F3 but as far as I am aware the W cars are around 80hp down on the International F3 spec.

Date: 08 May, 2019 04:21

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
It was a good race. I do think though that the cars should be faster. Maybe old GP3 spec. 400hp vs 270hp.
It's all based on F3 but as far as I am aware the W cars are around 80hp down on the International F3 spec.

So just out of curiosity would these W series cars be faster around a circuit than a Formula E car or would they be slower than a Formula E car??? Anyone know???

Date: 08 May, 2019 11:47

Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

So just out of curiosity would these W series cars be faster around a circuit than a Formula E car or would they be slower than a Formula E car??? Anyone know???

Anyone know???

Date: 08 May, 2019 22:19

Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

Anyone know???

Yes Whitey, faster than a formula E car but not as fast as Ricciardo reversing into a Torro Rosso.(Sm22)

Date: 09 May, 2019 05:52

The cars in W series are currant F3 cars

100% Williams

Date: 09 May, 2019 06:34

Quote:
The Terminator
Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

Anyone know???

Yes Whitey, faster than a formula E car but not as fast as Ricciardo reversing into a Torro Rosso.(Sm22)

Geez formula E cars must be so damn slow if W series cars are faster than them.

Date: 20 May, 2019 12:56

Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good morning,
I watched it and ended up a little bit confused as I was very unsure what I was watching in absolute performance terms.

If I knew that the winning/pole time was n seconds faster or slower than a known current driver then it would all be clearer, so I think that we need an F1 or top F2/F3 driver taking part on the day to set a reference time.

The risk with this of course would be that the basic idea of the series could be undermined if these reference times were much faster than the competitors'.

Given that this was the first race a lot of drivers would still be getting used to the car and looking at Google shows that Jamie Chadwick is a good driver but not obviously outstanding in the sense of being the next F1 champion.

As the safety car came out the race was just over 20 minutes long and the 8th place driver was 17 seconds of the winning pace, if other races follow the pattern of this one then there will quickly be a large portion of the grid ruling themselves out,leaving only 7 drivers competing for the win.

I can't see the interest in the series being sustained unless there is useful information for the motor sport teams or a TV audience.

The information from the first race is that the those drivers who already have a known public history are winning.

For a TV audience they need to find something to make the viewers care about the races, especially if the series is in the position of there are no driver's careers benefiting from their results in the series.

I have left it on series record so I will probably watch most of the other races, but if I miss any I won't be bothered. :-)

Bye

Ian

I guess you will not be enjoying the news from Williams this morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net