Halo Pros and Cons
Posted by: SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 09:52

We've all expressed our pre-season thoughts on the new halo, mostly in relation to its visual appearance.

I personally think we'll get over it after a few races, and the looks never really concerned me. Interestingly on the Autosport podcast they commented that the "black" (bare) halos (eg. RBR, Merc) looked less noticeable than the branded (coloured) halos (eg. Williams, Ferrari), which I tend to agree with.

But, looks aside, I'm interested to understand the other pros and cons of the halo, with this article sparking my interest:

[www.autosport.com]

- Drivers concerned that it may obscure view of the start lights, but no problem according to Dan

- Most drivers reporting that they don't really notice it while driving as they're mainly focussed in the distance or on side view while cornering

- Sainz reporting that the halo actually shields rain from hitting their helmet. Downside is that drivers find it harder to judge the conditions, but an upside must be better visibility in bad conditions. Not sure how that would translate into race conditions when following other cars - I can't imagine that viz would improve at close quarters.

- Halo is known to add weight to car and raise centre of gravity, which would impact grip and performance, but how much impact will this have in lap time? What about impact on overtaking ability out wide etc?

- Obviously the main objective is to improve driver safety, but concerns also raised that it may increase driver risks in certain scenarios, such as a loose front wing becoming lodged under the halo and forced into the driver's helmet, rather than being deflected away by turbulent air and not protecting the Massa scenario, if a small part misses the halo barrier.

Hopefully the halo is a short-term solution which is replaced by an Indy-type screen in the next year or so.

What do others think?

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Re: Halo Pros and Cons
Posted by: tomazy (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 10:18

I am just amazed how quickly i got used to the HALO, I don't even notice it any more to be honest.

Posted by: K1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 11:01

Strange how different people experience different reactions to exactly the same thing!!! The 'halo' is the first thing i notice as it has no 'flowing' continuity with the rest of the car. When painted creatively like Ferrari have done it appears to be more a part of the car and simply not an 'add on/bolt on'. Perception also changes with whatever angle one views it from. The screen has 'chops' and compliments the design features on most cars.

Posted by: AlanJones (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 14:42

Well aesthetically seen also the aeroscreen implemented by the IndyCar isn't the holy grail. It stands too upright to be seen as a flowing entity. The Halo is just plain ugly and seriously an eye sore. I'll never get used to the Halo. Never.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 16:24

Tbh Halo was the last thing to catch my eye when I saw the new cars for the first time.but when you check it, I think it looks in terrible.both in single view and also the harmony with rest of the car.
My problem with it is divided into 3 things.
1.Anything which adds weight to these cars, is a terrible thing.those cars are too heavy and it's quite clear.mute the sound of a 2004 car to avoid v10 sound interupt your judgement.still you think those cars were faster.most of it was because of the vibration the car took on kerbs, turns& so...most drivers also agree these cars are getting too heavy.

2.What kind of safety it brings? Felipe's crash? No! Senna? No! Jules' ? You may say yes but my reception of what his doctor told in an interview is that his mind took damage because of huge G inforced to his head.Halo could not avoid it.

3.It makes drivers slower to get out of car.harder...I know it's less possible these days to see a car catch fire in a crash or something but in case it does, halo is a problem.if a heavy crash happens and driver needs to get out or be taken out of car quickly, it's a block.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net